Friday, July 29, 2011

I could just cry.

I will miss so much about this city. I could just drone on and on and on and on... So, I instead will give you one tangible example.

This is the the free newspaper that we get every day as we board the Metro. It's called 'express'.

This copy was yesterdays (Thursdays).



Naturally, I flip to the most important section... horoscopes. OK, so not the most important, but i find it surprising how accurately it describes my day. Maybe they're just so vague it could fit anyone's day.

Sagittarius: The questions you are asking at this time may not have easy answers, but they must be asked--and you have timing on your side.

Conveniently, the Sudoku is on the same page as the Horoscopes, but today's is labelled as Difficult. I find these too difficult. To the point of frustration. I worked on one Diffcult Sudoku all of mini camp, and never actually got it right. 

So, it looks like I'll have to actually read stuff. Like about how Jayma Mays of 'Glee' is apparently a touch OCD and how there is a huge buzz surrounding 'The Glee Project. 

Seriously though. There are good nuggets of information on the World, National, and Local levels. 

According to Thursday, the world is going to shit. A mayor in Afghanstan was assassinated. Greece is doing worse than ever. Also, '10 tons of peanut-butter paste arrived Wednesday in a refugee camp in Mogadishu, Somalia, in the first of [the UN's] several planned airlifts to aid starving Somalis in the coming weeks.' But what about the people allergic to peanut-paste? I would like them to live too.

According to Thursday, the nation is going to shit. This whole debt palaver is just ugh. I just don't want to talk about it. Partially because I don't understand it. Partially because people are too worried about the election rather than the country. Mainly because I hate arguments. I argue that arguments are dumb. Also, 40 Americans have joined an "al-Qaeda-linked organization" in Somalia. Great.

According to Thursday, the local area is getting better. *applause* The cover story is about Anacostia and its local activists that 'are leading a charge of gentrification across the neighborhood.' Gentrification, by the way, is when a middle-class person movers into a lower-class neighborhood, rather than the slang meaning of when a white person moves into a black neighborhood. If you know DC, you know Wards 7 & 8 are the lower end of the spectrum as far as real estate goes, and people are choosing to live here as a cheaper alternative, and as a manner of changing its skyline. There is the other side though... "...many longtime residents say all the changes intimidate them... One 'For Sale' sign in historic Anacostia is scrawled with the words, "No Whites."


So, in turn, maybe if we can make local changes, then we can better the country, and better the world. But we may still just be going to shit. I can't tell you, but my horoscope says I have time on my side.

listening to: http://8tracks.com/rumorhasit/tell-me-something-sweet-to-get-me-by

No comments:

Post a Comment