Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Intern Shenanigans. Part 2.

Here is another installment in the 'Intern Shenanigans' series.

Last week was a busy week at Folkways.

We had an Folkways Intern Pot Luck. I brought Quinoa Tabbouleh. It was most excellent, if I do say so myself. And GF and DF. And you couldn't tell. Score!


Meagan, the other intern who works with my supervisor, and our buddy Dan are pictured here. :)

Some of the highlights were Nutella Croissants, Asian Noodles, traditional Kenyan food, Salsa, 7-layer dip, Funfetti cake, Hummus, Salad, Homemade Pudding, and Mint Chocolate Chocolate Globs of Deliciousness.

But then we had a problem. Too much food. Not enough people to eat it.

So, we promptly sent an e-mail out. 'Free food in the Conference Room'. Then we had tons of people on our hands. :) And were the heroes of the office.





At the end, we had all the Folkways interns get their pics taken together... one happy family.






Aren't we just adorable?




Then. It was time for a jam session. We play folk tunes that some of us know. 'Shady Grove'...

 We have many an instrument... one pipa, two violins, 3 guitars, four ukuleles, many voices.


 Priceless.


 This is a pipa. It's from China. That's all I know.


 I play the ukulele (kind of)... pronounced Ew-Coo-Lay-Le

Sometimes, Meagan and I's supervisor doesn't come in or we get time off and go to fun places... like Georgetown. :) It's adorable and kitsch, in an expensive way. It's kind of like Urban Outfitters. You are paying tons of money to look worn and antiquey. But I like it.

 Sprinkles cupcakes... featuring a Gluten Free Red Velvet.
The founder is my fave judge on Cupcake Wars. The cupcake show with the über cheesy host.


 We also found a hat shop. Royal Wedding style.

We also checked out the National Botanical Garden. We went inside thinking it would be air-conditioned... wrong. But we found our favorite room... the orchid room.

Overall. A Splendid Few Days.

3 comments:

  1. That pipa is awesome. So are those hats! And I love the group intern pictures! But I mean you could have made more room for that girl right behind you Rajy... Although she does look very happy all the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jasmine, I just saw your link to this blog on FB, and read the whole thing. I love your enthusiasm and writing! You're making me miss DC so much! You're such a cool person, I'm disappointed we didn't get to spend more time together.

    Anyway, you've probably already discovered this, but there are some wonderful used bookstores on the Hill. One at Eastern Market called Capital Hill Books (C St SE, kind of like a maze made up of stacks of books, but the owner knows EXACTLY what he has), and Riverby Books (East Capitol, a very classy shop, focusing on politics and American History, of course).

    I hope you enjoy your last days in DC!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah! You're amazing too! I do quite miss you. I met Kenny, btw. What a character. In a good way.

    I've been to Capital Hill Books. (In fact, I intended to go there this evening to photograph and purchase.)

    Riverby is unknown, but I will see if I can get to it!

    I hope Florida is going well, and I can't wait to keep reading YOUR blog! :)

    ReplyDelete