Sunday, June 12, 2011

Omani!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday, I had a lovely day with Dan, a buddy from work. It was actually his 21st birthday, so I was honored he chose to spend it with me at the Omani Festival at the Sultan Quaboos Cultural Center!

Don't know where Oman is? That's ok. Neither did I.



We get cultural event invites all the time through work, and this one looked promising. The other interns decided to be lame and not go, even though free food was involved. It was in the Dupont Circle neighborhood, and if you read by blog, you will know this is one of my favorite neighborhoods. We found the place easily, and headed straight to the henna demonstration.

The lady demonstrating is on the left. She was seriously one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. It was crazy. And the henna was awesome! They apparently only use plant life as drawings, as part of the religion and culture. She taught us how to make our own henna, or where to buy it. Party game, Kerry?

We then went out to the backyard, where frankincense was burning. I love that smell.


It was neat to see the inside & backyard of one of the houses I have been fawning over in Dupont Circle for a month. The food was set up in the back. I had falafel, tabouli salad, spinach pie-like-yummyness, hummus&pita, and Omani coffee. It was delicious. And free! Omgoodness. Totes made by day. There was also entertainment in the garden on Omani instruments. It was great. They used Western tuning. I can't remember any of their names, but here are some pics....



The lady on the left in the first pic actually works with us in Participant Housing, so it was nice to make connections. The lady in both pictures gave a research presentation on her trips to Omani after  she performed. I learned quite a bit about their culture and leadership, Sultan Quaboos.

I kept reading Sultan as soo-tahn... wonder why? :P

We took a quick look at the exhibit, and having some dates, a huge export for the country, before peacing out to Dupont. 





We stopped at a Photograph Shop, and I recognized streets that I have been on around the world. Paris, Venice, London. And felt quite cosmopolitan.

We also stopped at a used book store. I picked up a few travel writing books for cheap.

We ended the day with Dupont Park. It was getting geared up for the Capital Pride parade for the LGBT community later that day, and quite fun. We also had an intense session watching the chess-men. They always have one foot up on their seat. I don't get it.


It was Krispy Kreme time before we hit the Metro again. Dulce de Leche is quite the peculiar donut. Butterscotch, Tapioca, Vanilla Pudding like. Strange. But quite delish.

1 comment:

  1. Henna = done!

    falafel = jealous!

    sultan = also read it as 'soo-tahn'

    you = miss. <3

    ReplyDelete