Monday, June 13, 2011

Show your pride.

Sunday started out really bad. I mean really bad.

I went out to Tater, and he had two pink tickets on his dashboard. (Yes, my car's name is Tater). One was for parking too close to a stop sign. Apparently you have to park at least 25 feet behind a stop sign. Who knew? No one. Because fucking everyone does it. But, no, I get the ticket. The other was because they noticed by car parked on an unzoned street for a while, and want to know why I don't have a permit.

This is me... not happy.


Ok. So, I get in the car with my tickets, huffing and puffing. And, then I realize the battery is dead.

Lovely. Let's wait outside in the blistering sun for Geico to come. The gecko is kind of amazing though, they always come through for me in a pinch.

Finally, $50 and 1 hour later, I'm on my way.

I heard about a Free "Yard Sale" that a playhouse was putting on in Arlington. All the stuff they have accumulated for various productions was up for grabs. If I had a house to put some of this stuff, I would have taken it. But I don't, so I didn't. Enjoy these shots. My fave is at the end.


 Enough couches to fill 5 frat houses.
 Megan Hall. OMG shoes.
 Creepy old, out of tune, yet glorious piano.
 Chairs and statues and scaffolding, Oh my.
 The black box.
Cute. Almost Parisian.

Seriously though, it was cool to hunt around this dark basement, just full of random treasures.

Then it was off to the.... CAPITAL PRIDE FESTIVAL. My dad said the only specification is that I come home still straight. Because he need's grandchildren.


 These two were named the top Latino Drag Royalty.
 I couldn't get a good shot of this fierce lady, cause it was in the 21+ section. She had this one move, she would do a high kick, spin on her heel, and land in a split. All to the tune of "Girls" by Beyonce. She was fabulous.
 This was the Gay Men of DC Choir, complete with Color Guard.
 Right in front of the Capitol. Suck on that, Feds.
Got lube? See this dude. Yellow shorts. He is well covered compared to many of the men I saw. It was almost annoying. SUCH a tease. "I am going to look hot and amazing on this scorching DC day, and wear less than a speedo. But, oh wait, I'm gay." Bummer.


So, while the gay guys were all about the speedos, the lesbians were all about the pasties. I don't even know if that's how you spell pasties. But you get the picture. They took the stickers everyone was passing out and used them. My only question was, "Wouldn't it hurt when you take them off?"

Anyway. It's great to see a community so supportive of LGBT. There were as many straight people as there were LGBT, and as many families as young singles. Sponsors included tons of churches, govt groups, police teams, etc. Everyone was just... happy. Everyone was accepted. It truly was amazing. But it made it even more heartbreaking to see that these people, my friends, are discriminated against every day in so many ways.

I am glad people are starting to get it though, if only little by little.

For instance, LUSH is teaming up with Freedom to Marry.
http://www.freedomtomarry.org/pages/lush?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=FTM&utm_campaign=20111306LushCampaign&source=20111306LushCampaign

And celebrities like Dianna Agron are starting to really speak out.
http://felldowntherabbithole.tumblr.com/post/6453072763

And then the little people, like me, try to help out as best they can.


love is love.

1 comment:

  1. You are a fantastic lady, Jasmine Jonte. I want to be like you when I grow up... minus the whole parking tickets thing. :/ lol

    ReplyDelete